Home » Uncategorized » the Study shows that the world isn’t ready to say goodbye to Windows 7

the Study shows that the world isn’t ready to say goodbye to Windows 7

Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 in January 2020, but since running this operating system still running about 35% of computers in the world, there is a strong likelihood that a significant number of devices will be left without security patches, when you approach a deadline. A study conducted Kollective shows that although 96 % of enterprises have already started migrating to Windows 10, many are unlikely to complete this process until January 2020.

Исследование показывает, что мир ещё не готов проститься с Windows 7

This is due to several factors slowing down the transition process, including the typical compatibility issues faced by enterprises. Earlier this year Microsoft said that 99 % of software working with Windows 7, fully supports Windows 10 and Microsoft offers assistance to the developers of the rest of the 1%.

By the way, according to the study, 79 % of organisations do not install updates immediately after release, and prefer to wait a while. This may be caused by problems with the reliability updates, as some fear that not enough stable versions can break the activities of their enterprises.

Исследование показывает, что мир ещё не готов проститься с Windows 7

In addition, 53% of respondents said that waiting for at least a month before installing updates to the operating system, despite the fact that they often include critical security fixes. Kollective believes that one of the consequences of the transition to the new approach of Windows.

“This new model “Windows as a service” creates new complexity for ITadministrators. Monthly updates with bug fixes usually do not exceed 1 GB; while coming out twice a year functional updates can reach the volume of 5 GB. Due to the increase in the frequency of the output and the size of the updates the it teams do not have much time for testing and deployment”,— reported in the survey.

Исследование показывает, что мир ещё не готов проститься с Windows 7

Microsoft will continue to offer paid specialized support to Windows 7 and after January 2020, although this option will become more and more expensive every year. The company will have to pay $50 per device Windows 7 in the first year after EOL, and in the second year the fee will rise to $100.

By the way, the U.S. Commission for assistance in the elections recently expressed concern due to the fact that the presidential elections in the United States in 2020 a majority of the PCs ballot will still be running Windows 7.